Monday, October 18, 2010

Happiness and work-Blog 4

        Many of us choose a job and a career path that we think will just bring in good income. If we do this we sometimes loose that way of true happiness. In reading the article Happiness in the Workplace it said that we have to a meaningful and pleasurable job. That we must find what in life we want to do rather than what we are good at.
             In the world we live in today we get caught up in just making a lot of money and we forget what really makes us happy. Tal Ben Shahar states, “When our first question is, “what can I do?” we give priority to quantifiable currencies; when our first question is, “what do I want to do?” our choice is driven by our pursuit of the ultimate currency. In my junior year of HS when I was asked by teachers and students what I was going to major in college, I asked myself what can I do and what was I good at. With that I came up with biology because I always did well in my biology classes. I never really considered the thought of what I wanted to do because I knew that there would be a possibility of low income. With people always saying that performing arts can lead you to nowhere in life, I was afraid to pursue it.  I made it an “unattainable in my mind due to the society and people I was around. After reading many articles on happiness I learned that finding that job and career path towards happiness you need to include meaning, and pleasure. That you can apply what you want to do and what you are good at to have a sustainable job.  That anyone can achieve what they really would like to pursue in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment